Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Coming of Early Winter: Reflections, Practices

Autumn is fading in the ayurvedic cycle and we are moving into early winter.  By the time I do my next blog we will have entered yama damastra. Yama (the Lord of Death) damstra, according to my teacher and other readings, represents a time in which death’s presence is quite strong.  It is a time in which those with low life force have an easier chance of slipping out of this world.  Not the most optimistic of times.

There is something else at work, though. The death-life cycle, right?  With death comes the deeper work to generate new life, new possibilities. This juncture is also considered one of the most important junctures of the year.  As my teacher has stated, if there is one juncture to take out time and really do inner work, this is the one.  This year it has felt like the early winter shift has taken place already. The past couple of weeks have been plagued by challenges, exhaustions, anxieties, frustrations. I often haven't quite been able to gauge my own sense of well-being.

Juncture, according to Miriam-Webster, is a point of time made critical by a “concurrence of circumstances.”  For ayurveda, seasonal junctures are critical times of flux. The concurrence of circumstances revolves around the unsettling of the elements that comprise ourselves and the world.  The elements open up and loosen, leading to potential reorientation.  It can be a time of great change, great discomfort, great challenge, great potential….  These can be times when all hell breaks loose, but these times can lead to incredible moments of insight and life.

This shift also means a lot to me, because it takes us into the season that parallels my own doshic make-up:  Vata-Kapha.  It means that both can easily become imbalanced. Both can find excess easily.   And I am often susceptible to their simultaneous disruption, which means I can go from frantic unfocused anxious motion one moment to lethargic depressed dissolved stasis the next.  This is not a welcome season for me most of the time and this year I have to do my due diligence to embrace it and find gratitude amidst the challenges this season provides for me.

I know I need to stay intentional and focused on embracing everything that this season has to offer—the good, the bad, and the ugly.  This juncture, then, must be a time to open to intentionality, joy, and self-compassion through this seasonal journey.  We have nearly a month of juncture, starting with yama damstra and from there moving deeper into the juncture more associated with the winter solstice.   It is a month of deepening myself and facing my fears and anxieties. 

I sit here now deeply thinking about the upcoming juncture, which starts roughly around November 21st, because I want to be intentional during this time. I also want to be kind, yet focused and determined, in my work.   

Comfort Wisdom

What I need to focus on is the comfort wisdom that I developed in my work with Brene Brown’s reading group for The Gifts of Imperfection.  I want to work on my reliance on these tools (yoga, breathing, meditation, playing, etc.), remember these tools, and pay close attention to when I find myself slipping away into the numbing tools that are so much a part of my attempts to hide out and retreat.  I need to go deep, but I need to stay awake and conscious of my discomfort (and its sources).  What startled me most was the idea that to numb the anxiety and pain means that I numb the possibility of feeling joy and love and happiness. I can’t selectively numb.  I deaden my feelings and I deaden them all. I am tired of not feeling joy and happiness. I want those feelings consistently, so that means I must suck it up and feel the anxiety and moments of embarrassment and failure and anger and isolation.  Those feelings are all real and they all are part of me. 

There are several strategies that I will take this year and I’m writing them on this blog to help keep myself accountable.  In the process of utilizing, really utilizing, the comfort wisdom practices, I will be doing several other things.  First, I will be focusing my diet for part of the juncture and only eating wholesome home cooked food.  I do pretty well sticking to my ayurvedic diet, but I do have a tendency to go out to eat on a consistent basis. For the first 5 days of yama damstra, I will only eat my home cooked food.  After that, I will be on a trip and I cannot make that promise through that period.  I will come back to home cooked food, though, when I return from my trip and finish up this first juncture with a deeper connection to cooking and eating.

My second practice will involve revisiting last year.  I hold a great deal of anxiety around how I compare to last year, so what I plan to do throughout the juncture is use this blog and my other forms of journaling to engage with last year.  I will do that through photographs. I will focus on a photo or set of photos from last year and see where I was last year and speak to what I see now and am experiencing now.  I will also revisit my journals from last year, although I know I was not as consistent with journaling as I have been over the past 8 months.  The goal here is to not compare in a judgmental fashion, but to stay curious and explore how I have developed between last year and this year.  It is with compassion that I will look back and reflect. 
Turmeric & Ginger

The next practice I plan to do throughout all of winter, actually.  This will involve deeper reading and exploring of the rhizomes turmeric and ginger.  I have been thinking about these plants a lot lately.  I can’t help but feel a connection to their rhizomatic structure and their various properties.  I am drawn to them and I do not want to ignore that. I plan to get to know them better and their many facets—from their science to their physical appearance. Thus, my plan is to sit with them throughout the winter, reading and writing about them. 


My last practice was suggested by my teacher and that is engaging in dream work.  I have started to do that, but I will focus on it more intently during this juncture season.  I will focus on the feelings of my dreams, journal on them, meditate on them, and do some visual work with the dreams that I can remember.
 
St. Augustine
 So there you have it.   The coming of early winter is near and I have a set of intentions that I hope will keep my focused and awake throughout the junctures and the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment