Monday, January 20, 2014

Meditation and Welcoming the Juncture

Over the past 10 days, I have been doing longer and longer meditations with the goal of working my way to an hour. I wanted to keep a brief log of my meditation experiences—my struggles and successes.

20 Minutes—I was a bit nervous going into this meditation. I have been pretty much sticking with the 10-minute daily meditations and I was worrying about how I would do with 20-minutes.  But as I sat, I was able to slow down my mind and settle into the practice.  I spent a lot of time focusing on the tightness of my heart and neck.  Constriction was at times overwhelming, but I kept sitting with it and feeling. Just feeling what was going on in my body.  And it wasn’t a bad feeling, but it was all over the place.  My mind was jumping from thing to thing to thing and I had to keep returning to my breath. I also kept returning to the imagery of letting my thoughts go like bubbles floating up into the sky.  Just letting them go.  It was very helpful to get me out of the tendency to hold on to my thoughts for too long.  Once I did that, the time moved quickly and the meditation finished much faster than I thought it would.

30 Minutes—I was happy to sit in meditation this time.  I knew it was a bit longer, but I was excited for the challenge.  My mind was yet again very busy and didn’t want to settle too quickly.  I tried to stay with my breath and use the bubble imagery with my thoughts.  This time, though, the bubbles were heavy. They were more like bowling balls that kept dropping to the ground, creating craters and holes in the earth around me.  I could feel heaviness in my body as the meditation continued, as though something was pulling me down and it became harder and harder to sit up straight.  I kept returning to letting go of my thoughts and they continued to be bowling balls falling and falling to the earth.   I sat with the heaviness, though, and didn’t try explain it away or fix it.  I usually just want to fix those feelings that I find challenging, but I do realize I need to let them be what they are and I kept thinking that maybe whatever was going on was not ready to be fully released.  Before I could fully work through that heaviness the meditation ended.  It was encouraging to find the space to just sit in the discomfort and I hope I can work through that heaviness as the meditations get longer.

40 Minutes—This was a smoother meditation.  I finished the meditation thinking, “I did it! I sat here for 40 minutes and I didn’t break down and look at my timer.”  I entered the meditation smoothly and felt pretty good throughout.  Toward the end, I had to keep resisting the desire to look at the timer and know how much was left.  It was a challenge, but the feeling of making it through was incredible and energized me as I thought about working toward my 60-minute meditation goal.  I moved through my body and could feel my body sinking into the deeper spaces that I just can’t reach when I do my shorter 10-minute daily meditation.  Oddly enough, I didn’t have any nervousness going into the meditation and actually looked forward to having that space. It was a tough couple of days as I worked through my preparations for school and my mind wanted a break. To let go of everything.  I was craving it.

50 Minutes—This was a tough meditation.  The best metaphor for how I entered the meditation is that of an untamed horse being restrained.  The flailing.  The kicking.  The incessant neighing.  The shaking and hurling. Doing everything and anything I could do to try to get off of my mat.  My mind was spinning through a lot of deep darkness.  It was a dark day.  A dark weekend, actually.  I sat through it, though.  I sat.  I could feel the tightness in my heart.  I sat.  I could see myself digging through the darkness and finding large shells that represented two of my largest fears:  what people think of me and not being perfect.  I dug out those fear-shells and they pushed me down deeper and deeper until I fell through into what looked like a dessert.  Dry, arid, bright.  The darkness seemed to disappear.  I sat.  But then I could feel myself grow more and more antsy.  I wanted to get up. I wanted to know how much more time I had left.   But I asked myself why I needed to know this.  What came to me was that I wanted a context against which to understand myself. I didn’t want to stand alone without something to measure myself against.  Standing in the wide-open space of the desert was a perfect metaphor for letting go of those fears. It was the perfect metaphor for seeing myself as I am and that freaked me out.  But I sat.   As my heart area tightened, I decided to lay down and open my chest over my bolster.  I laid there, opening my chest and waiting. I just wanted to the meditation to be done.  And when I didn’t think I could lay there longer I reached for my alarm and it went off before I could check how much time was left.

60 Minutes—This was a strange meditation.  I was not agitated or anxious or ready to jump out of my skin. In fact, it was the opposite. I was there and hiding in my skin. As I thought about the meditation last night, I found that the word, lost best describes what I was experiencing. I didn’t know where I was going or why and I was struggling to care.  I wasn’t bouncing around from thing to thing to thing like I have been in previous meditations.  Instead, I was floating from thing to thing to thing.  Lost and floating.  Unfocused.  It took a tremendous amount of energy to keep my mind on my breath, my body, and my meditation.  My mind wanted to just go away.  There were numerous gaps over the 60 minutes.  Gaps in which I cannot tell you what I was thinking or why.  Most of my time in meditation was spent staying present and staying awake.  About half way through I peeked at the time.  I didn’t have any qualms about looking at the timer, unlike my previous meditations.  I was disheartened when I saw much time was left.  I found my footing, though, in that moment. It sort of woke me up to my meditation and I found a way to move through my chakra track and work on feeling each part of my spine as I moved my attention up my body.  The second half of the meditation was much more focused, but still a struggle.  But I did it. I made it through a 60-minute meditation.


Reflection—As I look over the direction of these meditations, the dramatic shift in my final meditation keeps running through my mind.  I can’t help but think this is a marker for the transition I’m about to embark upon.  The shift from early winter to late/deep winter begins tomorrow and I sense that a deepening is taking place and has been over the past week.  My goal is to remain curious about what I experience in this juncture and do what I can to not get stuck in any one feeling for too long.  I want to be curious, but also remind myself that these feelings are momentary. They do not define me. They are not all of me. And more than likely, if I let them move through me, they will move out.  I want to be curious, sometimes linger, but not dwell.   

No comments:

Post a Comment